Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Evaluating 21st Century Skills

I really enjoyed the visit to The Partnership for 21st Century Skills web site. It was interesting and exciting. However, there was a ton of information that took a while to look through. It is my hope that the great ideas to incorporate the 21st Century Skills into the schools go through as planned. As America falls further and further behind other countries, it is time that our government takes steps to improve what our students are learning and how they are learning it.

There was some information on the site that surprised me. For example, I did not know that “A Nation at Risk also called for computer programming to be included as a ‘new basic’” (Partnership for 21st Century Skills, p. 8). Although it is slightly incorporated into our state standards, it is definitely not included as a basic in our students’ education. Another surprise was that the Terra Nova was listed as one of the test that will be used to assess critical thinking skills. Our district was required to administer the Terra Nova test as part of a grant we received. No one felt that the data we gained from this test was valid for any reason. Now that the grant is over, we will no longer use the Terra Nova, but will use a test that has more usable data for us. One last surprise is that the state will continue to generate standards in order for the teachers to create assessments to measure these standards. The people creating the assessments should be the ones with input into the standards. We are in the trenches with our students every day. We have a good idea about what they should know. The panel of decision makers should definitely include educators since we, ultimately, have to live closely with them.

I disagree with the idea that only certain states were chosen to participate. If our government is involved with this effort, which they are according to the documentation, it should be for all states and all students. I also disagree that “results from large-scale summative assessments, along with other measures of achievement, are regularly used to determine whether students can advance to the next grade, and to judge the quality of schools and the educators who work in them” (http://www.21stcenturyskills.org). I believe student scores on tests are not the only indicator of readiness to progress to the next level. What about formative assessments? How about the students who do not test well, but demonstrate mastery of content? Also, it is not fair for teachers and schools to be judged by student performance on these tests. The population of students I work with are below grade level. The students are low income and high risk. How can my school or my district be compared to a high performing wealthy district? We are enrolling more and more ELL students and our IEP population is growing. The teachers in my school are some of the best I have ever seen. They are making gains, but not in comparison to other districts. Does the Partnership for 21st Century Skills recognize this?

The implications for me as a teacher is that I will need to pay even closer attention to connecting learning to students’ lives and to the real world (Partnership for 21st Century Skills). Also, I can look forward to professional development on how to integrate these skills into my classroom rather than just being handed the curriculum to implement (Partnership for 21st Century Skills). I look forward to collaborating with members of my school community, organizations within the community, other educators in the community and parents in order to see this concept to fruition (Partnership for 21st Century Skills).

The implications for students are that they are finally going to be tested on what they are being taught rather being taught what they are being tested on (Partnership for 21st Century Skills). They are going to experience learning that they need in order to be successful in their futures.


http://www.21stcenturyskills.org

Partnership for the 21st Century Skills. (n.d.). A report and mile guide for 21st century skills. Washington DC: Author. Retrieved from http://www.21stcenturyskills.org/images/stories/otherdocs/p21up_Report.pdf

8 comments:

  1. How does the USA education department still fall farther behind all the other countries?

    I dislike the Terra Nova test that is given to the students. I do not think that it is great tool to see how well the students are doing. What about the students who do not test well?

    I totally disagree with the same thing, how can you take the students grades and judge the schools and educators in them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also logged onto the 21st Century Website and I do agree that there is a lot of information to digest, but I was pleased that the website was at least, easy to navigate. I was also surprised that technology skills were included in A Nation at Risk, but after some contemplation and investigation of this website, it made perfect sense. How are our children supposed to keep up with others from another country, when we as a nation are not providing them with the tools to do so?

    Your idea of having those of us in the trenches create and have input into new technology standards and assessments, would be one that makes complete sense. Do you think this will actually happen? What steps could we as educators take to aid in this process? Despite the challenges that you also mentioned in connection with standardized testing, what do you foresee being difficult in assessing our nation’s youth in respect to 21st Century skills?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynne,
    I also was surprised that one of the basics that was mentioned in NCLB was technology basics. That really was the first I had heard of that. This truly is one area that must be addressed and addressed quickly. I've said it before and I will say it again, this is an area that needs administrative approval. Having administrators/district official who are technology aware will help to create teachers that are technology aware and in turn will create students who are prepared for the technology future that awaits them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to agree with them that computers, while expensive, should be a considered a basic in schools. This idea should be reasonable considering how fundamental and integrated computers are into almost any business avenue that our students might go into.

    I was also bothered by the fact that more states weren't included in this. When I clicked on this tab I expected to find information on Georgia, and was disappointed to see we weren't included.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was also suprised, but pleased, to see that they suggested adding computer classes as core classes. I have said for years that I believe typing should start in the youngest years so that students are able to navigate a computer easier once they enter middle school.

    I also agree with you about the teachers helping set the new standards and being allowed to give input. It is SO important that those who are in the classroom daily, are the ones that get to set the guidelines/standards/tests.

    I didn't expect to see my state on the list, so I wasn't suprised when it wasn't there. My husband and I have debated on our future and if we will still live in this area when we have kids - just because we're not thrilled with the education/administration in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you about not judging teachers based on what students scored on their test but I do like the new way Colorado is looking at students test scores. We are no longer just looking at the score but we are looking at the growth of the students as individuals. By doing this students should be growing and then you can see if the student grew during the year with that teacher. I too work at a low income school and have a lot of students on IEP's or ELL, but with this model I will see if they are growing and if what I have been doing with them is working.
    I believe that when you are working with this population of students the teachers do need to be the best. One year with a bad teacher can take up to five years to recover. We need some way to keep the teachers accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Everyone,

    Thanks so much for responding to my post about the 21st Century Partnership. It is nice to see we agree about so many things.
    Kelly,
    I wonder how we can get teachers' input into writing the standards and assessments as well. I just know that if teachers are not involved it may not be very appropriate for the students. We know our students best. I worry that the assessments or the standards may be unrealistic. Then, we will be teaching to the test again, as we have to do for No Child Left Behind. Also, if technology is going to be added to the standards and assessments, what happens to the poorer school districts? I work in a district where we are slowly acquiring technology. Students often do not have access to technology in their homes. How can they be fairly assessed in the same way as students who are Digital Natives?
    Hi Kali,
    I agree that computers should be considered a basic in schools. How can we get equity in the amount and types of technology in schools? The digital divide may get larger and larger.
    Hi Amy,
    Our state has added the Growth Model to our state assessments this year too. It is another way for us to reach AYP in certain subgroups. I agree that as long as students are showing progress we should make AYP. I also agree that a bad teacher can set students' progress back for a few years and that teachers, like students, should be held accountable. However, I do not think teachers should be judged by their class progress or the school by each teacher. Sometimes you have a very low class and the progress is minimal. No one will take the low kids if this is what it comes down to and they are the ones that need the very best teachers! What should we do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two things that stands out in your blog to me. First would be the use of the Terra Nova scores. I was also surprised to see that this was the test that they were considering using for determining critical thinking skills. We use these test in my state and I don't actually care too much for these test. The second thing was that the 21st Century skills, suggest adding computer classes as a core class. I strongly believe this should happen, not just because I am a computer teacher, but because computers are the wave of the future and if our students are not learning about them in high school they being pushed farther and farther behind.

    ReplyDelete